Theatrical Release: June 22, 2012
Home Release: November 13, 2012
Directed by Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, Steve Purcell
Reviewed by Rob Grabowski
Brave tells the story of Merida, who is the daughter of King Fergus and Queen Elinor of the Dun Broch Scottish Clan. The very strong-minded Merida is at odds with her mother when she is told that three suitors from neighboring clans will be competing for her hand in marriage. Merida wants no part in this arranged marriage and is particular on how she prefers to spend her time. When Queen Elinor demands that this is how things are done and she must go through with it, Merida runs away and finds a old witch who she seeks her help with a spell so that her mother will see things her way. After the spell is cast and things go awry, she needs to right her wrong and figure out a riddle by the second sunrise or the outcome will be permanent. Along the way to solving this riddle, Merida comes to understand the true meaning of being brave, taking charge of the situation and working to break the spell while strengthening her relationship with her mother along this journey.
This Pixar / Disney movie is both visually spectacular and musically thrilling. The 3d is nothing less than spectacular and really added to the excitement. The heart felt conflict that is showcased between mother and daughter may hit home with more of a particular audience, but the excitement and adventure is something that the whole family can get caught up in and enjoy.
Brave delivers a wonderful Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio track in stunning 1080p. The 3d has a depth and dimension that really enhances the story rather than just being gimmicky. The way Merida’s red hair flows shows how well Pixar’s technology has grown to be simply amazing.
If you are looking for a wonderful family friendly movie to add to your Blu-ray collection and are fortunate enough to embrace the 3D technology you won’t be disappointed adding the Brave Ultimate 5 disc Blu-ray combo pack.
The exciting home entertainment debut of “Brave” will be available in multiple ways, containing exciting all-new bonus features that extend the breathtaking movie experience.
Ultimate Collector’s Editon: 5-Disc Combo Pack
(BD 3D + BD Feature + BD Supplemental Material + DVD + DIGITAL COPY)
Blu-Ray – Disc 1 Includes :
- “La Luna” Theatrical Short – Fans will love this charming short that accompanied the film in theatres. It follows a young boy on his first night working the family business alongside his father and grandfather.
- “The Legend of Mor’du” Short – This rousing new bonus short film will give fans the chance to delve deeper into the legend behind Mordu, as told by the eccentric witch who transformed him.
- Brave Old World – Fans will watch as members of the “Brave” production team investigate Scotland, exploring its land, culture, people and dialects. The research they gathered was brought thrillingly to life in the film. Also, fans will hear what actress Emma Thompson (voice of Queen Elinor) thinks of Pixar’s take on her homeland.
- Merida & Elinor – With the creation of Merida and Elinor, the Pixar filmmakers delved deep into the relationship between mother and daughter. Highlighting contrasts in character design, clothing, animation, voicing, even hairstyle, watch how the filmmakers explored this most important of relationships.
- Bears – Take a look inside the art and design behind the bears in “Brave.” Each of the bears, gentle Mum-Bear and terrifying Mor’du, demanded a different approach to creating their physical appearance and personality.
- Brawl in the Hall – A fascinating and hilarious inside look at the process of creating “Brave’s” fighting Scots, through animation, crowd simulation and fight choreography – not to mention a room full of grunting men whose vocal chortles added authenticity to the raucous scene.
- Wonder Moss – Fans will explore how “Brave’s” technical artists examined the real Scottish countryside and studied the laws of nature, then turned these findings into computer codes that would blanket Merida’s Scotland in lush moss, lichen and bracken.
- Magic –The magic and mystery of Scotland is revealed to fans in this charming feature about the legends – from mystical potions to the will-o’-the-wisps – seen in “Brave.”
- Clan Pixar – At Pixar, getting into character is a team effort. From making Haggis to Kilt Fridays to celebrating the Scottish poet Robert Burns, fans will see how the “Brave” production crew truly embraced Scottish themes and customs fueled the Pixar crew throughout the creation of “Brave.”
- Once Upon A Scene – A closer look at the evolution of the storylines throughout the production of the film, including alternative openings to the film and many deleted scenes.
- Extended Scenes – Three separate scenes are highlighted in their extended form. Director Mark Andrews discusses the decision making process that led to the shortened versions of these scenes.
- Director Commentary
Blu-Ray Disc 2 Includes:
- “Fergus & Mor’du” An Alternate Opening – Once upon a time, “Brave” had a different opening scene. Eventually cut from the film, fans can see it in its entirety in this bonus feature narrated by the film’s director Mark Andrews.
- Fallen Warriors Montage – A selection of deleted shots that were cut from the film late in production are presented to fans in various stages of completion through a video montage narrated by director Mark Andrews.
- Dirty Hairy People – Fans will enjoy this uproarious bonus feature discussing the development of “Brave’s” Scots – including the design of their hair, attire, and dirt-crusted physiques.
- It is English…Sort Of – This bonus feature helps fans interpret some of the more Scottish lines in the film, thanks to the real Scottish actors who play the key characters and contributed their own dialects and sayings.
- Angus – A look at Merida’s most trusted companion, Angus, a mighty Clydesdale.
- The Tapestry – Fans will learn the story behind this embroidered emblem of family unity, which was lovingly crafted by “Brave’s” team of artists.
- Promotional Pieces – This bonus includes promotional clips for “Brave,” including: “Feast Yer Eyes,” “Relics,” “Clan DunBroch,” “Launch,” and more.
- Art Gallery – A selection of breathtaking art from the creation of the film, showcasing characters, sets, scenes and stunning landscapes.
- Wee Gaffes – A video montage of simulation, animation and shot bloopers.
- Renaissance Animation Man – Get a look at Director Mark Andrews’ love of Scotland, sword-fighting, music and more!
- Teasers and Sneak Peeks
Blu-Ray 3d Disc Includes:
- “La Luna” Theatrical Short
- DVD Includes:
- “La Luna” Theatrical Short
- “The Legend of Mordu” All-New Short
- Director Commentary
Collector’s Edition: 3-Disc Blu-Ray Combo Pack
(BD Feature + BD Supplemental Material + DVD)
- 1-DISC DVD
For you Tech folks:
- Disc Format: BD-50
- Encoding: MVC/AVC
- Video Aspect: 2.39:1
- Resolution: 1080p/24
- Feature running time: 93 minutes
- Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 7.1/5.1, French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
- Starring: Kelly MacDonald, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters, Kevin McKidd, John Ratzenberger
- Music by: Patrick Doyle
- Written by: Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, Steve Purcell, Irene Mecchi